There are seven chakras that are inside of your body, and these are the energy centers of your being. When the chakras are open and balanced, it can bring peace to your mind, body, and soul.
The chakras are a Sanskrit word that means “wheel”, and this is energy that flows throughout your body and brings positivity.
What Are the Seven Chakras?
There are seven chakras and here they are:
The root chakra is also called the Muladhara. This chakra is found at the bottom of the spine, and it is the place where you feel grounded and strong. When this chakra is balanced, it can help you to be strong and to be able to stand up and protect yourself. When blocked though, this chakra can make you feel ungrounded and unstable.
- Location: Bottom of the spine.
- What it does: Finances, money, and food.
- Best mantra: “I have to have a steady foundation.”
- Color: Red.
- Element: Earth element.
- Crystal: Hematite.
- Pose: Warrior I pose.
- Development time: Between the age of 1 and 7 years of age.
This chakra is also called the Svadhisthana. This helps to regulate your emotions and can help to give you energy that you need sexually. It is the chakra that controls creativity and when it is blocked it makes you feel that you are lacking control.
- Location: Below the belly button.
- What it does: Works with your pleasure and sexuality.
- Best mantra: “I will honor people, but I will honor myself also.”
- Color: Orange.
- Element: Water element.
- Crystal: Tiger’s Eye.
- Pose: Bound Angle pose.
- Development time: Between the ages of 8 and 14 years of age.
Solar Plexus Chakra
This chakra is the solar plexus and is also called the Manipura. This is a chakra that gives you confidence and helps you to feel that you are in control. This is also where your intuition lies.
If this chakra is blocked it can make you feel that you have no self-esteem or that you are ashamed of yourself.
- Location: Top of the stomach.
- What it does: Controls your self-esteem and confidence.
- Best mantra: “I accept all things about myself.”
- Color: Yellow.
- Element: Fire element.
- Crystal: Amber.
- Pose: Boat pose.
- Development time: Between the ages 15 to 21 years of age.
This is also called the Anahata. This is found in the upper part of the body and works with your spiritual being. It can help you to have love and to give unconditional love.
If your heart chakra is blocked, then you won’t have forgiveness and you won’t be able to open your heart to other people or have compassion.
- Location: Found in the middle of the chest.
- What it does: Controls your peace, happiness, and love.
- Best mantra: “I love myself and I love others.”
- Color: Green.
- Element: Air element.
- Crystal: Rose Quartz.
- Pose: Camel pose.
- Development time: Between the ages of 21 and 28 years of age.
This chakra is also called the Vishuddha, and it is where your communication happens. It gives you power to be honest and to open up.
When the throat chakra works and is balanced, it allows you to express yourself and to tell the truth. When blocked though, you will have problems saying what you are feeling.
- Location: Found in the throat.
- What it does: Helps with communication and telling the truth.
- Best mantra: “I will always tell the truth.”
- Color: Blue.
- Element: Element of sound.
- Crystal: Aquamarine.
- Pose: Fish pose.
- Development time: Between the ages of 29 to 35 years of age.
Third Eye Chakra
The third eye chakra is also called the Ajna. This is where you are able to see things with your psychic gifts. You can use it to reach your intuition. This is where you get visions, and you get information in the spiritual world.
- Location: Found in the middle of the forehead.
- What it does: It controls your intuition and your visions.
- Best mantra: “I can see things without my physical eyes.”
- Color: Purple.
- Element: Element of light.
- Crystal: Amethyst.
- Pose: Child’s pose.
- Development time: Between the ages of 36 and 42 years of age.
The crown chakra is also called the Sahasrara. This is where you can reach your higher spiritual self. This is where you can find your inner gifts.
- Location: On top of the head.
- What it does: Helps to keep you strong and is part of your spiritual self.
- Best mantra: “I bring light and love to others.”
- Color: Violet.
- Element: Element of the divine.
- Crystal: Clear Quartz.
- Pose: Headstand pose.
- Development time: Between the ages of 43 and 49 years of age.